Commence Homelessness


Sparky waiting outside to avoid getting packed

We were told the movers would be at the house between 8 and 9 in the morning, and they showed up at 8. We had already showered, done the dishes, and were still washing the bedding. Caleb went to run errands – went by the post office, the library, and by work to turn in his chiefs package. By the time he got home three hours later the living room, office, and bathroom were done. The bedroom and kitchen were half done and after seven hours they had the garage boxed up and loaded on the truck too.

The two guys worked quickly, staying hydrated, boxing anything that wasn’t nailed down, and they taped a spider to the wall – he lived. I was glad the dogs were outside and in the hecticness of the moment they packed my flip-flops, but with the intent to go to Alaska I doubt I will be wanting to wear those. At one o’clock a similar truck pulled up and I thought they were bringing the guys lunch. It was the movers there to put our stuff into temporary storage (until I get my paperwork that approves me for entry into Bahrain). I thought we had that resolved last week, so one of the guys and Caleb got on the phone and the three movers made $50 for showing up when no longer needed.

what used to be our office

what used to be our office

All our stuff – bed, two desks, cabinets, tables, bicycles, bookshelves, pots and pans, and clothes fit into three and a half large containers – three of which they nailed shut. They will stay that way until they reach the Bahrain customs office and then only be ripped open if we forgot something flammable, consumable, pornographic, or a pork product. Those items will be confiscated and hopefully that’s the end of it.

When they were done I borrowed a mop from the neighbor and was offered a delicious salad that I need to get the recipe for. We cleaned out the fridge and freezer – cold drinks for the road and veggie sushi that Caleb brought me for lunch that he got from someone at work. We hugged Dan and Bibi goodbye, got in the car, bought Caleb a California burrito from Don Panchos, and came back when we realized we forgot the lock on the garage. We could’ve had Dan cut it, but it’s a good lock and I still have a key for it. We went by the library to print out dog flight paperwork, then to a postal annex to fax it.

all our things

all our things

We drove by Noble Real Estate on Church Ave to drop off our keys. They now have two sets instead of just the one they issued us and have 21 days to refund our security deposit – that should help pay for the trip. We left San Diego on Highway 5 knowing we were headed north to Alaska and wanted to avoid the fires – common California home destroyers. We couldn’t stay on the 5 long before the call of the 395 became too strong to ignore – so much so that we took a toll road to get there.

We stopped at REI in Irvine to get Kung Foons – sporks and chopsticks, turn in two gas cans and get some money back to spend on granola bars. We continued north until about 10pm when we pulled into a lot full of semi trucks near Ridgecrest and attempted to sleep in the back seat together only to end up crashed out in the front seats for a couple of hours. Today is our first day homeless and I’m excited – as usual.

a car outside the rental office

a car outside the rental office

I would like to thank all the friends, strangers, and neighbors that made my time in San Diego what it was – friendly and awesome. I will miss the birthday cake from Bibi’s house, the food always on offer at Dan’s house and the endless conversations, all the help from the Millican family in helping us with our home, yard, dogs, and vacation time. You all are truly awesome. I will miss the concerts with Christine and all the hiking and biking with Betty. I will miss the conversations at Spine and Sport – a bunch of great people I wish I could’ve spent more time with outside of work.

I will miss Amanda – a new friend, but a great person. I will miss the Farmer’s Markets and the beautiful beaches. I will miss the constant bike worthy weather. I will miss the small town feel of Imperial Beach between San Diego and Tijuana. I will miss the creative artists and friendly shop owners, the delicious restaurants, and micro breweries. I will miss living five hours driving time from my dad. But I will miss these things as much as I’ve missed everything else I’ve ever done or anywhere I’ve ever been – enough to want to go back one day, but not enough to stop me from moving forward – first to Alaska and then to Bahrain.

This entry was posted in Animals, Food, Friends, Military, People and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

comment zone

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s